Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tacos Laguneros



After a great day of shopping the flea market with my friend Carole I headed to my Moms for a cooking lesson with my sisters Mother-in-Law, Rosa. She had made a dish, Tacos Laguneros, that I could not get enough of. She was in town visiting this weekend so I asked her to make them with me. They are SO good that I wanted to share the how-to with you.

We started with 3 lbs of pasilla chiles {the same chiles used for Chile Rellenos}. After cutting the tops off we sliced them lengthwise and took all of the seeds out. Once that was done we sliced the chiles into shred like slices and sauteed them in a few tablespoons of butter. As they cook down they begin to blister slightly and they take on a brighter green color.



After lightly frying white corn tortillas we filled them with a spoonful of chiles and a sprinkling of cotija cheese. We rolled them up the same way you would an enchilada and lined a large baking dish in a single layer.



After all of the tacos were rolled we put two tomatos and 1/4 of a white onion in the blender with 1/2 cup of water. We added that mixture to a frying pan coated with oil.



Once the mixture began to boil we took it off the stove and poured it over the tacos.



The final layer was crema latina, or mexican sour cream. We put enough on to cover the tacos, it was a fairly thick coat.



The tacos were baked for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. 3 lbs of chiles yielded us 49 tacos. I will probably add a bit more of the chile filling to my next batch which will likely yield more like 33-35 tacos.

People these are SO GOOD! I would like to tell you that I didn't eat a dozen of them between 3 and 9pm but I believe honesty is the best policy!

Please let me know if you try it! I'll be back tomorrow to show you what I picked up today at the flea market.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look super good. But I need some meat. Chicken something!


xoxox Birens boo.

ImagiMeri said...

Hi Lisa,

I am definately going to try this recipe, I don't know when yet, but probably by next week. I love mexican food!!! BTW what is the difference between Mexican sour cream and regular sour cream?

Hugs,
Meri

Anonymous said...

Meri,

I don't know the difference between the regular and mexican sour cream but I'm the type of person who is afraid to deviate from a favorite recipe for fear it won't be as good and I'll wish I hadn't messed with it! It's a good question, I'll see if I can find out.

Lisa