Friday, July 9, 2010

It's My Birthday I Can Lie If I Want To



I'm kidding. I'm tempted to tell you that I'm 29 today but I'm 37. This past week I actually forgot if I was turning 36 or 37 and had to do the math. By the way, I don't eat my birthday Sundae's that way anymore (ok I still get all up in a Sundae but I do use my hands now).

I think the thing that amazes me more each year is how sentimental I've become. I've always felt like I've possessed a lot of strength personally. Even in early adulthood, I was bent but would not break. I've never been much of a crier, in good times or bad. It's not that I have anything against it it's just not been my way. That has slowly changed over the past couple of years and I often find myself getting that warning sign where your nose starts to burn a little bit and then your eyes water up right afterwards. I decided to drive past my grandparents old house the other day when I happened to be going that direction. As I turned down their street I just couldn't stop the tears from coming. A rush of memories came, one after another. When I put my handprint in the concrete, the front window that was broken, running through the sprinkler in the front yard and covering the sidewalk in chalk. So many days full of love that shaped my life.

My kids really bring it on too. My middle boy who's 5 looks like he could have been my twin brother. His little face reminds me everyday of my same mirrored reflection that I saw when I'd comb my hair or brush my teeth. Some days it feels like just yesterday and some days it feels like it was all a movie that I saw. I could only hope for 37 more years as good as the ones I've had.

I leave you with this hilarious picture taken the same day as the one above. This was the little boy that lived next door to my grandma. Check out his hand on my boob, I'm CLEARLY not happy about it. Look at my fist! You can tell I'm thinkin, "don't make me rip these pearls off and punch you in the neck".

10 comments:

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday! So glad I discovered your blog -- very inspiring!!!

Tracy said...

Lisa, is there any way to email you? I was a student of yours at Inspired this year, and have a question for you. I don't see anyway here on your blog to email you... (I'm sure I'm over-looking it somehow!)
Thanks so much,
Tracy

Anonymous said...

LOL, THAT PICTURE IS SO FUNNY
WHY IS HIS HAND SO LOW. HE WAS COPING A FEEL. LOL A YOUNG PLAYBOY.AND YOUR STANDING THERE LIKE WHAT THE HELL!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA, AND MANY MANY MORE.

XOXO BIRENS BOO~

Anonymous said...

LOL, THAT PICTURE IS SO FUNNY
WHY IS HIS HAND SO LOW. HE WAS COPING A FEEL. LOL A YOUNG PLAYBOY.AND YOUR STANDING THERE LIKE WHAT THE HELL!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA, AND MANY MANY MORE.

XOXO BIRENS BOO~

Cindi said...

Oh Happy-Happy Birthday!!! I too forget how old I am and I always guess too low. This past year my mom had to remind me. Hope you enjoy your great big sundae. Can I celebrate with you and have a great big sundae myself? Haha.

Kathieao said...

Happy Birthday Lisa.......even then you knew how to get things done.....why wait for utensils.......

connie said...

Happy Be-lated Birthday. Hope you're celebrating all weekend.

Carole said...

Happy Belated Birthday Lisa! I hope it was fabulous! Love those pictures! My Dad was a July 9 baby too! Have a great weekend!

valerie said...

That picture is too funny.Don't kid yourself, he knew exactly what he was doing,lol! So fun spending time with you on your birthday. Have a great week-end too! Valerie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to You,
Happy Birthday to You!
Hope you had a great day surrounded by family and friends that love you dearly Lisa.
Love your narration of those captured memories!
I agree sentimental reaches a new level each year we get older ;)
Love,
Cassie