Thursday, October 28, 2010

Croque-Madame


I have been under the weather since Sunday afternoon and this afternoon was the first time I felt like getting out of bed. Not only did I feel like getting out of bed but I HAD to make Croque-Madames for dinner. Have you had this? Oh my goodness, it's SOOOO good!!

I found this great recipe:

5 T butter
2 T flour
1 c milk
6 oz thinly sliced Gruyere {swiss cheese}
1 tsp dijon mustard
Sliced sweet french bread
Thinly sliced ham
Eggs

To make the Mornay sauce I started by making a roux. This is simply melting 2 T butter in a saucepan, adding 2T of flour to that until smooth and bubbly and then adding 1 c milk until boiling. To that mixture you add the dijon and 1/2 c of Gruyere. Once this is smooth it's done.

Begin assembling sandwiches for grilling by spreading 1 T of the Mornay sauce on one slice of bread and ham and Gruyere on the opposite side. Invert the Mornay sauce slice on top of the ham and cheese and butter both sides of the sandwich. Grill as normal. Once all of the sandwiches are grilled spread one more tablespoon of Mornay on the top of the sandwiches and broil for 3 minutes. Add a fried egg on top of each one {normally this is a sunny side up egg but I prefer fried} and serve.

I had had this sandwich before but nobody else in my family had. They all loved it, suprisingly, my 4 and 5 year old ate every bit of theirs.

On a different note, stay well, there are sick people everywhere!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so yummy!
Carole