Sunday, November 13, 2011

What Am I Doing Wrong?


I'd like to use my blog a friend please on decorating my mantle for Christmas.  I have always stuggled to create a nice mantle, holiday or otherwise.  I arrange and rearrange and I just can't seem to get it right.  What am I doing wrong?  Maybe a big silver charger or platter behind the compote of ornaments?  Some height?  Sorry for the bad picture, I had to take it from the end of my dining room table so I couldn't help but get part of my chandelier in the photo.


I love all of the items on the mantle so I don't know what to take out...


And some things behind, some things in front of the garland...how do you feel about that?  Please offer up your best suggestions, nothing will hurt my feelings!

4 comments:

Textile and Stitch said...

I would suggest balancing it a little by putting both candles in front of the garland and maybe put them on the two ends. The advent calendar might look good a little more centered and adding a strand of white lights would really brighten it up :) hope this helps!

Deb said...

you have some great things. I think grouping some of the smaller pieces instead of spreading them out would work. I agree-add some height, either by putting something on something else or add in some painted branches in a vase - easy inexpensive and festive! and yes, little white lights look great and tie it all together. have fun !

Sweet Old Vintage said...

May I suggest you swag you evergreen garland in front of the fireplace instead of laying it on mantel... You need to place you objects together instead of just sitting them across the mantel... Some elevation with a couple books for different levels ... Gruop in odd numbers and I think you may need a couple bigger objects for a statement... Christmas is always lovely when married with everyday treasures also... You may find some help by typing on search decorating Christmas Mantels... They had some lovely pics on a couple sites...

Anonymous said...

Yeah I agree with Sweet Old Vintage about swaggin out the garland in front of the Fireplace.
Try it and see if it will pop.


xoxo Birens Boo aka CpRETTI